Pink PilatesOctober 31, 2021
For ten years now, the team at ABsolute Pilates has been inspired by the cancer survivors that we support. We’re determined to keep giving back and continuing to support cancer research and screening, to better serve our communities and lend support to those who need it. Despite global events preventing us from holding our typical Pink Pilates fundraiser again this year, the team here at ABsolute Pilates is still dedicated to raising funds and awareness for the cause.
How Pilates Supports Breast Cancer Patients and Survivors
Both breast cancer patients, and survivors, will find that Pilates is a worthwhile pursuit to help them physically and mentally while they undergo treatment or recover. Specifically, Pilates helps to:
- Drain lymph nodes: Shoulder exercises explored in Pilates can help drain the lymph nodes under the arm and support general health.
- Break down scar tissue: Those same localized shoulder motions can help breakdown scar tissues from surgery and other treatments.
- Regain strength, flexibility, and range of motion: Cancer treatments can limit a person’s physical ability, and not having the energy to exercise anymore can do the same. Pilates can help to regain essential physical skills to move better.
- Increase energy levels: Exercise will help patients to accomplish more in the day, even when struggling with fatigue.
- Improve sleep: Similarly, exercise will help to tire the body, so sleep comes more easily at night.
- Reduce muscle tension and fatigue: Whether it’s sitting in a chair to get chemo or using exhausted muscles to just bring in groceries, those with cancer often develop muscle tension and fatigue. Pilates can help by strengthening and engaging all muscles of the body.
- Minimize weight gain: Pilates is a good way to counteract lower activity levels in a patient’s lifestyle, and to build strength without necessarily gaining much weight.
- Increase confidence: Body confidence, strength, and movement will increase through engaging with Pilates.
We find that participating in Pilates is a core part of many cancer patients’ and cancer survivors’ mental recovery as well as their physical recovery. No matter how treatments or recovery are going, Pilates can help promote inner strength, resilience, and peace. You can’t control cancer, but you can control how you respond and live in the face of it.
How Our Fundraiser Helps
To date, we have raised over 30 thousand dollars for the Juravinski Breast Assessment Centre, which is one of the most advanced breast screening and assessment centres of its kind in Canada. The Centre has multiple specialists on-site, and gives patients a better experience, where they wait less for results and feel less anxiety about the process. Screening and follow-up are available for men and women who are suspected of having breast cancer. Genetic testing and high-risk screening is also available for women. The government does not fund the cutting-edge equipment available at the Centre, but you can through our fundraiser.
Contact us to donate now to help support cancer patients and survivors in your community.